Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Badgers...

I know the Rose Bowl was almost two weeks ago, but I am still pissed off about it. I give credit to Andy Dalton for his stellar play but it was the badgers game to win. The play calling was questionable throughout the entire game. Bret Bielema must have completely forgotten about his All American running back John Clay until the final drive. After the Badgers scored on that drive, they obviously had to attempt the 2 point conversion. The play call here is what really makes me mad. A pass. Yes, Scott Tolzien had a great season, but when you have arguably the best offensive line in college football and not to mention John Clay running the ball, a pass makes no sense.

Looking to next season I get a bit nervous. We lose a lot of talent including John Clay, crucial offensive linemen Gabe Carimi and John Moffit, speedy receiver/return man David Gilreath, All American DE JJ Watt, the always reliable SS Jay Valai, TE Lance Kendricks, and perhaps most importantly, Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award winning QB Scott Tolzien.

There are however some players I look forward to watch play next year. Chris Borland is expected to return to the defense after missing almost his entire sophomore season. He was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2009 and I am excited to how well he can play next year. James White is my favorite player to watch simply because of his big play ability. He can break out on a huge run on any play thanks to his great speed. He should be fun to watch as his game continues to grow.

 The biggest question for the Badgers next year is who will start at quarterback. As of right now, Sophomore to be Jon Budmayr is expected to start. I liked what I saw from Budmayr based on his very limited playing time last year. I wouldnt mind seeing Curt Phillips fight for the position. I was pretty high on him when he was a freshman primarily because he is a dual threat quarterback. Injuries have set him back and I hope he doesnt give up as the younger Budmayr passes him on the depth chart.

Congrats to the Badgers on the Big Ten Championship. Here's to next season, and another Rose Bowl appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment